Hope IT is a Christian-based effort to focus on under-served kids, and allow them to learn computer programming and other IT skills. Starting with those at 11 years of age, over years of engagement, we want them to be able to be at a place after high school to decide to go straight in to an IT job or go to college, with strong technical, leadership, and service skills and experiences. Read our initial ideas; they will evolve as we learn what works best. We have offered a few courses starting in 2018.
All team members with Hope IT are volunteers. We will bring our knowledge and experiences, but allow kids to chart their own path, guided by their interest and ability. If you would like to volunteer and be on our team, we could definitely use your help.
We are in a 2 year incubation period with Knox Presbyterian Church in Pasadena. We are grateful that Knox provides rooms for our courses, liability insurance for our students and team members, and background checks of our team members.
We highly value partnership with local groups and organizations, be it tutoring programs and churches, or large and small businesses and non-profits. We look to create relationships with companies that can both provide computers and tours, as well as internships and jobs for kids going through our program.
Here are some ways you can be part of the team in right now:
- Become a team member: The effort also includes forming our curriculum, guiding and mentoring students, helping build our team, working with our partners to see what fits best for a particular situation.
- Become a Technical Coach (Instructor): We need topic experts, who like to share and work with kids.
- Help promote our effort: This includes creating and maintaining a Facebook page and other outward facing information streams. Follow up on contacts we get that are interested in helping out or partnering with Hope IT.
- Help organize events and trips: We can visit JPL, go to hack-a-thons, Maker Fairs, and companies (visit their server rooms…does anyone have those anymore?)
- Be a company liaison, opening opportunities for kids to have internships or actual Jobs. We will only send out best kids to these opportunities…but they need those opportunities and access to our networks/connections.
- You would like Hope IT to partner with your organization/church: We are just starting, but we can listen if you think we should partner with you. Do contact us.
Or if you have another idea on how you can be part of our effort and team, let us know. We need you.